Home Buying: Get a Final Walkthrough Before Closing!
When it comes to buying a home on the Treasure Coast, be sure a "final walk through" is performed prior to closing. A final walkthrough can head-off potential conflicts before closing and allows us to address common issues such as:
- If the current owner is on schedule to move out
- That the property is in the same condition it was when shown
- That any repairs required have been completed
In a best-case scenario, a final walkthrough is also a good time to have the sellers explain details about the house that the buyer may need to know, especially tricky pool heaters, access to attics, funny light switches, and sprinkler timers. It is also a great time to put together a list of companies and professionals who have serviced the house in the past.
One best practice is to schedule final walkthroughs at least 4 - 7 days before closing, as this is often enough time to resolve any outstanding issues before paperwork must be signed. (The final walk-through itself may happen within 24 hours of closing.)
Here are some things to look for at the final walkthrough:
- Check the electrical system. Wiring problems should be addressed before closing.
- Verify that the security system, doorbells, and garage doors are working.
- Run the AC and heater- make sure they work.
- Look for wet spots. Leaks may cause wood rot, mildew, mold, termites, or even foundation issues.
- Flush toilets, run the dishwasher, washer, and dryer.
- Test ceiling and exhaust fans.
- Check that the bathrooms have no water damage, standing water, or mold.
- Test the toilets and turn on all faucets to ensure they have hot water and don't leak.
- Confirm all agreed to repairs were completed according to the terms of the contract. Repairs may be done by the seller or licensed professional, so make sure that they have been made as stipulated.
I’m dedicated to protecting my clients from the beginning through the end of the home buying experience. If you want to work with someone who pays attention to the details, give me a call today at 772-288-0765.