Selling the House Through the Garage
Getting ready to sell your house? If you want to make it shine, don't forget to pay attention to the garage! Staging all your rooms can make a big difference.
Making a house on the market shine is all about attention to detail. If you're going the extra mile to ensure your home is a stand-out, you'll probably go beyond the typical touch-ups that refresh curb appeal. You might even decide to stage your home, especially if you're not living in it while it's for sale.
One "room" you don't want to forget when you stage? Your garage!
Staging a garage may sound excessive, but it's an important and frequently-used entryway to a home. While many prospective buyers may expect a dark, cluttered, unfinished concrete box, you can surprise and delight them by following these simple garage staging tips:
1. Clear out the clutter. Yes, it might mean renting storage space, but that can be a good idea anyway when you're staging a home to impress. Weed through the junk, have your garage sale, and then store the balance off-site.
2. Enhance the floors. Cracked, stained, or otherwise shoddy looking concrete flooring can be a visual turn-off. If you're not planning on sealing, priming, and painting the floor, at least get a suitable cleaning chemical or power washer to brighten up the flooring.
3. Organize what remains. A workshop area with hook boards for small tools can be appealing, especially if great care is taken to make the area look tidy and functional.
4. Create more storage space on walls or hanging from the ceiling. Provided your garage isn't low-ceilinged or particularly tight, shelving and hanging racks can show your buyers how much room they'll have to keep extra tools, seasonal decorations, or sports equipment handy.
5. Tune up the lighting. A nice hanging fluorescent fixture, plugged into outlets or existing fixture outlets can change your garage from a dungeon into a clean, inviting place. Besides, don't you want to highlight all that hard work you've done?
Want to make your house stand-out in the Treasure Coast market? I'm happy to share all the tips and tricks I have to give your home an edge. Let's connect!
This post has been authored by Eric Slifkin, REALTOR® serving South Florida’s Treasure Coast. You can reach me at 888-288-1765, or visit my Web site. As your resource for information on new or resale homes throughout the Treasure Coast, please be sure to contact me about any home you may find on the Web, yard sign or ad and I will research the property, arrange showings and handle all the details.